Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Home Tour :: The Playroom

I have really been wanting to put all the before and after pictures of our new place on here. But the task of cleaning the whole house, and then photographing it all before one of my three boys (eh-hem...I mean two) destroyed it was too much to handle at once. So here is my solution, a room by room tour. Sound good? Well here we go...

The playroom was originally the 'master bedroom'. The before:





What we did and changed:

Literally soaked the walls in TSP (heavy duty cleaner) and watched 15 years of cigarette smoke come dripping down in orange streaks

Painted

New door

New baseboard

Put on a closet door

Ripped up the nasty cat pee covered carpet

Made our own plywood, white washed wood floor (farmhouse style and SUPER cheap!)

Changed out the light fixture

Replaced the wall heating unit

During:



Sweet, sweet Jessie going nuts from all the work I gave her. She's such a champ, she practically did that floor all by herself. Painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, polyurethaning, sanding, polyurethaning, and sanding. Bonus points in Heaven for her :)


Before the poly.



Then when the floors were done this is where the boys camped out for a hour or so a day and played/watched movies/fought while I tried working on another project.


And what it looks like now:









I honestly love this room. It is one of my favorite things about this house. In the duplex our living room was everything there. It was the family room, playroom, guest room, office, etc... I LOVE being able to keep their toys and projects in one room instead of cleaning up their toys throughout the whole house. I love the view from my desk in the office, the doors are parallel and I can watch them while working on the computer. And it also doubles as a second guest room. We just move some things around and fit in a neat rollaway bed. We feel stinkin' blessed beyond measure to have this space. It's making these dreary rainy Oregon winter months sooooo much better with all this room to run around and play.

What's next for this room? Possibly a new wall color, window coverings, window trim, picture frame moulding halfway up the wall with a shelf on top, a more built-in reading nook area without the rocker, and some art. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it gender neutral for when we do have a girl. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures honey! Lots of work, but so worth it.Love you guys and so proud.Love, mom

Meghan said...

I LOVE the bookcase/shelf thing...where did you get it?? The room looks so amazing!!

Karly81 said...

Thanks Meghan! We got it online at One Step Ahead, here's the link: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536401&cmSource=Search (we love it!)

Unknown said...

Awesome job guys !!!! It looks amazing!! - Alicia

Hanna said...

the before pictures don't give you enough credit for how bad it actually was. you can't see the smoke stains, the undies, and all the nasty stuff they left. good work guys.

Strauss House said...

THE UNDIES? Oh. my.

Looks fantastic.